- We contract approximately 50 local workers in the Gran Caldera and Southern Highlands Scientific Reserve to serve in forest and beach patrol teams to deter hunting and collect data on wildlife.
- We conduct an undergraduate study abroad program based at UNGE and involving both UNGE and American students.
- We run a wildlife research center in the town of Moka to host ecotourists and visiting research scientists. The center includes a staff house, guest rooms, an education center, a well-maintained trail system, and trail-access to the Gran Caldera and Southern Highlands Scientific Reserve.
- We cooperatively manage a nature center in collaboration with the local community of Ureca in the Gran Caldera Scientific Reserve. The center was constructed in 2015 and is responsible for managing the new ecotourism project is one of the few places on the island to purchase authentic handcrafted souvenirs made by the Bioko Artisan Collective.
- We educate local children on the importance of wildlife conservation using a program designed around the use of the Bioko Island Book Series.
Developing UNGE's Potential
"In the end, we conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught."
- Baba Dioum, Senegalese poet
Central to BBPP's mission is developing UNGE's educational capacity to serve as a center for biodiversity conservation. We seek to improve management skills, English-language proficiency, teaching skills and work ethic. We also pursue projects to develop UNGE's infrastructure, improving classrooms, office equipment, computers and telecommunications and providing internet access. To learn more about BBPP, consult the sections on our history, supporters, leadership and news. In particular, we suggest reading the Philadelphia Inquirer's eight-part series on BBPP, published in 2005.
All photos seen above are credited to National Geographic Photographers Tim Laman, Ian Nichols, Joel Sartore, and Christian Ziegler as well as numerous members of BBPP (staff, students, and volunteers).